Social networking to many is extremely confusing and some think is a complete waste of time. But it is there to help you brand yourself. There are so many sites and you must be active on all of them for it to be effective. Here are some ways to simplify the process and to get noticed:
1. Link your Facebook and Twitter status updates. Go to Facebook, search for Twitter and install the application. You can then update your status on both sites at the same time.
2. Make yourself worth following. You need to be interesting. Do not give status updates of every single thing you do in a day. Try to say something that will gain interest of your followers. For example, instead of saying, “Another Home Listed!” say “Newly listed, a Minneapolis Sin Fam Home 4bed/2bath, 200k,” then post the link for people to view the listing.
3. Post links of articles you are reading.
4. Never assume you can just update your status and not pay attention to anybody else. Respond to your followers and friends. People will notice your comments and you will gain new friends and followers.
5. Promote yourself and your business. Many of you, like myself, have been tweeting about the tax credit. Remind people of the deadline, market your listings, and sell your services.
6. Don’t be a status update machine. That’s the one thing that bothers people the most. Keep your updates spread apart a bit. Posting a status update or link every 5 seconds loses interest in your followers.
7. Finally, remember the cardinal rule of social networking: “You have to give to receive.”